quoting values magic

От Brandon Metcalf
Тема quoting values magic
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Assume I have an UPDATE statement that looks like

  UPDATE foo
    SET
      pattern = '$pattern',
      shape   = '$shape',
      length  = $length,
      comment = '$comment'
    WHERE foo_id = $foo_id

and length is defined as NUMERIC.  Is there any kind of magic that
would allow me to use the SQL above as is even if $length is not
defined?  In other words, I'd like to avoid having to modify the SQL
to include or not include "length = $length" based on whether or not
$length is defined as it's acceptable for it to be NULL in foo.

I can't say "length = '$length'" as '' is not valid input for NUMERIC.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks.

--
Brandon