Re: remove BufferBlockPointers for speed and space

От Gavin Sherry
Тема Re: remove BufferBlockPointers for speed and space
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Qingqing Zhou wrote:
> >> It is said that the BufferBlockPointers is used to speedup the
> >> BufferGetBlock() macro. I compared three ways of getting block pointers.
>
> > Do you have results for more recent gcc releases?
>
> Or more than one hardware architecture (which you didn't even say what
> you tested...)

Well, he tested on SunOS (!) and Linux -- I presume that's two
architectures. But yeah, that definately does mean that the results hold
true for our user base.

If we had the code (and if it does measure the right thing), then we can
easily test on a lot more architectures.

Gavin

Сообщение: Re: remove BufferBlockPointers for speed and space
Сообщение: Re: remove BufferBlockPointers for speed and space