Re: Comments on all system objects

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: Comments on all system objects
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Bulk?  Redundancy with the SGML documentation?
>
> There are already more than enough places to have to edit documentation
> when we change/add a column in a system catalog.  I don't see the value
> of adding another, especially not one that's constrained to one line.
> And what will comments on, say, system indexes contribute really?

Maybe it would not be that bad if the comments could be derived
automatically from the sgml documentation? At least for comments that are
not provided directly from the initialization phase?

That may involve designing a new tag for the sgml. Something like
<shortdescr>... to specify the object name, its type and its description,
so that some filter could derive the appropriate "COMMENT ON".

I appreciate having something to read on a "\d+" in psql, without having
to turn to the online doc.

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho@cri.ensmp.fr