Re: make == as = ?

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: make == as = ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear Stephan,

> > For the class I have in mind, there are no corner cases, just concepts and
> > basic practice.  They are not going to be db developers, not even computer
>
> So no string comparisons? I know that's a mostly unused corner case and
> all, but... ;)

They survive to the idea that text/date/...  are "basic" types in SQL.
Maybe I'm lucky... they could prefer java references with new/equals...;-)

If I take your example about details of && vs AND semantics, while
teaching "programming concepts" I'm not going to discuss the fact that &&
is shortcut by the evaluator, as this is very specific.
I'm not planing my students to know what "i=++i+i++;" could mean.

If I teach about "java/c/c++/java", this may be an issue.

So it depends on the course goal.

Well, I'm happy that so many people have ideas about what to teach and how
to teach it;-)

Have a nice day,

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho@cri.ensmp.fr