Re: Further thoughts about warning for costly FK checks

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: Further thoughts about warning for costly FK checks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Also, because of the opposition by some DBA, these checks could be disable
> > by some options, but I would suggest the option to be on by default.
>
> I was thinking of a GUC variable called PERFORMANCE_HINTS, which would
> throw a message if a lookup from the primary to the foreign key didn't
> have an index.

As I've looked in the code abouts these things to present some patches,
there are different concepts :
- message levels as DEBUG, NOTICE, WARNING, ERROR...
- additional message fields as HINT, CONTEXT...

I think that this is not related to level or fields. so
"performance_hints" looks misleading to me. I would take a
"performance_advices" or "performance_checks" as these are not used yet,
and the levels may be notice/warning... and the hint field is not
necessarily used.

Well, this is just to talk;-)

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho@cri.ensmp.fr