Re: Further thoughts about warning for costly FK checks

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: Further thoughts about warning for costly FK checks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Or maybe some new "ADVICE" or "ODDITY" level next to "DEBUG NOTICE
> > WARNING ERROR PANIC...", that would be hidden by default and triggered
> > by an option?
>
> But that doesn't really solve the problem, which is that there are
> conditions that it's difficult to test for on-the-fly while a schema is
> being constructed.

Ok, I was off my shoes again, sorry.

> A pg_advisor tool would look at the completed schema and would not have
> that problem.

Ok.

As a more interesting contribution to the issue, I would suggest that such
checks could be triggered by "ANALYSE".

1/ it is the first thing to be done on performance problems.

2/ it is not done too often.

3/ checking this stuff seems to belong to the analyse phase.  warnings about costly foreign key checks could also be
repeated on these occasions.

Also, because of the opposition by some DBA, these checks could be disable
by some options, but I would suggest the option to be on by default.

Have a nice day,

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho@cri.ensmp.fr