Re: French Characters

От Jon Earle
Тема Re: French Characters
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 26 May 2003, Ernest E Vogelsinger wrote:

> You need to set the client to a matching character set if you're using
> UNICODE as database character set.
>
> E.g., using psql, upon connecting to a UNICODE database, psql automatically
> uses the unicode caracter set - there's no 'é' character in UNICODE, as
> this will be encoded using 2 bytes.

There's something I'm not understanding.  Unicode does contain the
accented e character - it's character 0x00e9.  I thought the whole point
of unicode was to avoid having to specify character sets and have the
whole thing "just work" but it would seem that's not the case.  If a app
is created and an installable ISO containing that app is built and
downloaded by users in China, Zimbabwe, Egypt, Brazil and France, each
will require one of these client encodings be selected.  How then, can the
app 'know' where it is and select the correct encoding?

Cheers!
Jon