Re: 7.4 features list

От Brian
Тема Re: 7.4 features list
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
As a postgresql user, and as someone who develops apps with postgresql,
but does not do development FOR postgresql, I feel compelled to chime in
here and agree.

While I understand that there is a strong opinion that a win32 port will
bring more attention to postgresql, and that this is a good thing, I would
hate to see a release get delayed because of the port.

I have several production systems using postgresql up and running now.
One of these systems has been running for over a year and a half, with no
downtime other than scheduled downtime for upgrades, and one hardware
failure.  In spite of this, I still have to fight constant political
battles to keep this application on postgresql.  Upper managers who have
never heard of postgresql constantly comment about how maybe it would be
better if we just used sybase or oracle, etc.

Each new feature that gets released for postgresql gives me a little more
ammunition to use in these discussions. Currently, the too biggest areas
of contention are replication and just the "I've never heard of this
'postgres'" factor.

While I know that replication is not coming for 7.4, I think that PITR
would help. At least it would facilitate faster / easier recovery after a
crash... not that I've ever had a crash.

I have to think I'm not the only person in this sort of situation. While
the win32 port may be very beneficial, I would hate to see a situation
where the current installed base had to wait for a feature they needed
because of the win32 port.

Please, this is not meant to disparage the hard work of the win32 porters
at all. I understand that bringing a wider user base into the fold can in
the long term result in more resources to help continue to improve
postgresql. I'm just saying that I would not want to see new features for
the existing ports of postgresql put on hold because of a desire to have
win32 in the next release, if it came down to that situation.

I'd like to thank everyone involved in the postgresql project for creating
such a fantastic tool!

Brian Knox
brian@mail.pantalaimon.net