8.1beta, Subtle bug in COPY in Solaris systems

От Sergey E. Koposov
Тема 8.1beta, Subtle bug in COPY in Solaris systems
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

First, I'll show the warnings seen when compiling postgres on
SunOS 5.6 with gcc 3.2.1

copy.c: In function `GetDecimalFromHex':
copy.c:2660: warning: subscript has type `char'
copy.c: In function `CopyReadAttributesText':
copy.c:2805: warning: subscript has type `char'
copy.c:2813: warning: subscript has type `char'

Actually this warnings are caused by the isdigit function.
On Solaris systems, isdigit is organized as an array lookup, so all the
arguments should be casted to unsigned char.

2660c2660
<       if (isdigit(hex))
---
>       if (isdigit((unsigned char)hex))
2805c2805
<                                                       if (isxdigit(hexchar))
---
>                                                       if (isxdigit((unsigned char)hexchar))
2813c2813
<                                                                       if (isxdigit(hexchar))
---
>                                                                       if (isxdigit((unsigned char)hexchar))

Actually that problem cause not only warnings but real bugs too,
exploiting that problem. (when the char >128 and is not casted to
unsigned, on  solaris there will be a negative indices of arrays)

For example on SunOS (or any Solaris):

test=# CREATE TABLE test0 (xx char(2));
CREATE TABLE
test=# copy test0 from stdin;
Enter data to be copied followed by a newline.
End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself.
>> \x3п
>> \.
test=# select length(xx) from test0;length
--------     1
(1 row)

But on NOT Solaris:

test=# CREATE TABLE test0 (xx char(2));
CREATE TABLE
test=# copy test0 from stdin;
Enter data to be copied followed by a newline.
End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself.
>> \x3п
>> \.
test=# select length(xx) from test0;length
(1 row)

I'm not sure that everybody will see that code properly due to encoding
differences. But the idea is just feed postgres with "\x3" and one
character with the code >128.

Regards,Sergey

Sergey E. Koposov
Max-Planck Institut fuer Astronomie