Re: How to improve Postgres performance

От Dennis Bjorklund
Тема Re: How to improve Postgres performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Hemant Pandey wrote:

> So please tell me how can i improve database performance through
> configuration parameters. I had tried to change parameters in
> postgresql.conf file but of no avail.
> Now i am trying to Auto Vacuum, but don't know how to run Auto Vacuum.

The most important part is that you need to run VACUUM ANALYZE regulary.
Vacuum can be started each night in a cron job, started from pg_autovacuum
when it thinks it's needed, or started in some other way. In any case, it
has to be run whenever the data in the database have changed enough.

The parameters in the config that is most important in my experience is
effective_cache_size and shared_buffers.

This is a text I like (it's for pg 7.4 but still useful):

  http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html

--
/Dennis Björklund