Re: Implementing SQL/PSM for PG 8.2 - debugger

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Implementing SQL/PSM for PG 8.2 - debugger
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I lean with you and Tom.  While running it over the same libpq protocol
> would be helpful in some ways, it would have a lot of drawbacks and
> would really change the function of libpq.  I think a separate debugging
> protocol is in order.

One message? I can't belive :).

> work on it (ANTLR currently generates Python, Java, or C++).  I don't
> suggest we really reuse one of the current VMs as it would require a lot
> more support and coordination.  Let's take the bytecode discussion off
> this thread and move it to another.  There is certainly a good and bad
> side to using bytecode and I would be glad to discuss it in another thread.

I see only one advantage of WM - sharing between languages. But SQL/PSM or
PL/pgSQL are not clasic languages. Big advantage is big disadvantage too
-> relation on SQL engine. I can use all SQL types, but I can't to do
efective concation of strings. Sorry, I don't see any benefit of bytecode
for these languages.

PL/pgSQL works fine (for specific task). What can be better?
 o evaluation of expressions. -- needs integration with sql parser o debugging  o persistent compiled code o syntax

Please, write me, private, your opinions. And don't scowl at me, so I am
in oportunity :).

Regards
Pavek

Сообщение: Re: Implementing SQL/PSM for PG 8.2 - debugger
Сообщение: Re: Implementing SQL/PSM for PG 8.2 - debugger