Re: locale

От Dennis Bjorklund
Тема Re: locale
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> You're missing the point: strcoll() is not going to compare them as
> latin1 strings.  It's going to interpret the bytes as utf-8 strings,
> because that's what LC_CTYPE will tell it to do.

My current understanding of what you are saying now is that LC_CTYPE is
always UTF-8 and all comparisons in the new database are going to be
wrong. This since all strings will be compared as if they where UTF-8.
LC_CTYPE is per cluster and not per database as some of the other LC_xxxx.

Yes, this actually makes sense. I really hope that this is the way it work
because I think I can understand this. I don't like it, but I can
understand what pg currently do, which is good (unless pg does something
else :-)

Thanks for the explanation.

--
/Dennis Björklund