Re: locale

От Dennis Bjorklund
Тема Re: locale
Дата
Re: locale  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: locale  (Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> If that were so, we'd not have a problem.  The reason we have to tread
> very carefully is that we do not know what tables/indexes users might
> have added to template1.

Aah, now I see the real problem!

> If we copy a text index into a new database and claim that it is sorted
> by some new locale, we'd be breaking things.

How is this handled for encodings? You can very well have something in
template1 in an encoding that is not compatible with the encoding you use
to create a new database.

Right now I can't imagine how that was solved.

> In any case, the whole idea is substantially inferior to the correct
> solution, which is per-column locale settings within databases.

Of course, but that solution might be many years ahead. Had it been fairly
easy to create a database with a different locale it would have been
worth it (and still is if one could come up with some solution).

I have a number of different data directories with different locales, and
add to that a number of different versions of pg and you can imagine
what it looks like when I run ps :-)

--
/Dennis Björklund