Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes

От Dennis Bjorklund
Тема Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes
Дата
Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> I'm tired of telling that Unicode is not that perfect. Another gottcha
> with Unicode is the UTF-8 encoding (currently we use) consumes 3
> bytes for each Kanji character, while other encodings consume only 2
> bytes. IMO 3/2 storage ratio could not be neglected for database use.

The rest of the world seems to select unicode as the way to handle
different languages in the UI of programs. For example gnome supports
nothing but unicode. How is that handled in your country? I know that you
are tired of people who don't understand how difficult it is for you, but
I really would like to know. Is gnome not used over there because of this?

About storing data in the database, I would expect it to work with any
encoding, just like I would expect pg to be able to store images in any
format.

I'll try to not mention unicode near you in the feature :-)

--
/Dennis