int8 primary keys still not using index without manual JDBC driver patch (7.4RC1)

От Craig O'Shannessy
Тема int8 primary keys still not using index without manual JDBC driver patch (7.4RC1)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

Just thought I'd mention that I really think this problem needs to be
fixed.  I

I'm patching the 7.4RC1 JDBC drivers as we speak due to this optimiser
bug, and it's the third time I've had to do this.  I would think this bug
causes quite a lot of people to evaluate postgres and decide it has awful
primary key performance!  I love postgres, and hate to think that this
could be happening.

template1=# explain select * from lineitem where lineitemid=26845437;
                          QUERY PLAN
 Seq Scan on lineitem  (cost=0.00..82685.91 rows=1 width=103)
   Filter: (lineitemid = 26845437)
(2 rows)

template1=# explain select * from lineitem where lineitemid=26845437::int8;
                                   QUERY PLAN
 Index Scan using lineitem_pkey on lineitem  (cost=0.00..3.53 rows=1 width=103)
   Index Cond: (lineitemid = 26845437::bigint)
(2 rows)

I've noticed this is in the TODO :
Allow SELECT * FROM tab WHERE int2col = 4 to use int2col index, int8,
  float4, numeric/decimal too [optimizer])

Too hard to fix before 7.4 final?

Regards,

Craig