Re: Still a few flaws in configure's default CFLAGS

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Still a few flaws in configure's default CFLAGS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> *Yes*.  This is exactly the problem, really.  One could reasonably
> accuse the autoconf developers of FSF imperialism, because they have
> seen to it that autoconf-based configure scripts will choose non-optimal
> CFLAGS for non-gcc compilers.  These same geeks would be screaming for
> Microsoft's blood if Microsoft tried comparable tactics, so I don't have
> a whole lot of sympathy.

The philosophy of the autotools is to give power to the experienced user
(you can set your own CFLAGS) and to give portable defaults to everyone
else (-O is technically not portable).  Another contributing factor is
that the default stems from a different era, one might say, and has been
the same for a long time, and changing it now would probably upset as many
people as it would please.

In other news, if you don't like what autoconf does and you are confident
about what your compiler can handle, you are free to set up a
config.status file or set CFLAGS in your environment.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net