Re: http://www.pgsql.com/register/submit.php

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: http://www.pgsql.com/register/submit.php
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> I agree that there's no need to ask people to register.  I think it'd
> be okay to have a message that suggests visiting www.postgresql.org.

The text already suggests www.postgresql.org, so there's nothing to do
besides removing the register bit, if we agree to do so.

However, I think the message is a bit pointless altogether.  First, only
those that install from source see it, so it's not the place to
communicate vital information.  Second, how did they ever get the source
code if not via www.postgresql.org?  Third, that same piece of information
is contained in README and INSTALL, so it's impossible to miss.  So the
only group of people we could target with this text is those that 1)
install random source packages that they got from somewhere they don't
remember, 2) don't read README and INSTALL files even if they have
questions, and 3) don't know how to use a search engine, if they really
have trouble finding us.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net