Re: Minor irritant with comment parsing in a function (SQL)

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Minor irritant with comment parsing in a function (SQL)
Дата
Re: Minor irritant with comment parsing in a function (SQL)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-bugs
Richard Huxton writes:

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION zzz_test () RETURNS text AS '
>   SELECT ''hello world''
> -- SELECT ''goodbye world''
> ::text;
> ' LANGUAGE 'SQL';
>
> ERROR:  parser: unterminated quoted string at or near "'hello world'
> -- SELECT 'goodbye world'
> ::text;

That's a good one.  The bug is actually independent of the function
definition, but you cannot easily reproduce it in psql, because psql cuts
out -- comment before sending the command to the server.  Here's how one
could do it:

cmd=$(echo -e "SELECT 'hello world'\n-- SELECT 'goodbye world'\n::text;")
psql -c "$cmd"

The problem is strings of this form:

'foo'
   'bar'

This is equivalent to 'foobar'.  Comments are also allowed between the
parts:

'foo'
  -- abc
    'bar'

Still equivalent to 'foobar'.  In your case it's scanning the string
similar to

'hello world'
  -- SELECT 'goodbye world
    '\n::text;

Hence the complain the the string is not terminated.

The bug here is that the scanner doesn't know that a newline (or end of
input) is a required as part of a -- comment.  If I change the rule

comment            ("--"{non_newline}*)

in scan.l to

comment            ("--"{non_newline}*){newline}

then the example works.  This does not cover the case of a comment at the
end of the input, but a solution shall be forthcoming.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net