PQfnumber and quoted identifiers

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема PQfnumber and quoted identifiers
Дата
Re: PQfnumber and quoted identifiers  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
There was a discussion on -interfaces that might need more consideration.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/2003-09/msg00026.php

Apparently, it has so far been an undocumented feature of libpq's function
PGfnumber (return column number from column name) that the column name
needs to be double-quoted if it contains upper-case letters.  That, is you
need to write

PQfnumber(res, "\"Bar\"")

I think this is completely bizarre and pointless.  This is a C interface
and not SQL.  Other libpq functions that accept names of SQL objects don't
do this.  Also, PQfname and PQfnumber ought to be inverses.

Since this behavior was undocumented and no one had noticed it in the last
10 years, I think we can away with removing it.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net