Re: more i18n/l10n issues

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: more i18n/l10n issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera writes:

> Oh, there's another thing about the --help-config option.  This option
> includes an, er, option to display the items that belong to a given
> group.  So you could say
>
> /tmp/pgsql-es/bin/postgres --help-config -g 'Security'
>
> and the list of parameters that belong to a group that has the word
> Security on it would be displayed.
>
> However, the -l option lists the groups with the translated names, and
> of course those names do not match on -g specification.

I'm quite unhappy about the --help-config option.  It was developed
without discussion, it was installed hastily, we don't have any
information about that interactive configuration application it's supposed
to target, it's not documented, it's full of unfinished business, it
certainly doesn't make the code easier to maintain because all the
documenation is duplicated, but not one-to-one.  At this point, I wouldn't
spend a lot of time trying to make sense of it.  We can revisit it again
in the next release and investigate how we can eliminate the duplication
of effort between the documentation and the code.

> This little patch allows both versions to match, translated and
> untranslated.

That doesn't make much sense to me.  It might be that a translated word is
equal to an English word but has a different meaning.  It's also weird
that you cannot search for a complete word, e.g. "syslog", it's going to
print out all the parameters that contain "syslog".  Again, I don't think
we should worry about that now or we'll end up spending too much time on
this.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net