Re: Passing server_encoding to the client is not future-proof

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Passing server_encoding to the client is not future-proof
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> > Tom Lane writes:
> >> One of the reasons for not doing conversion in binary mode is to have an
> >> escape hatch for unconvertible characters, eg for dump purposes.
>
> > That functionality is already provided by setting the client encoding to
> > SQL_ASCII.
>
> Hm.  Okay, so are you arguing that we should not remove encoding
> conversion from the binary-transmission case?

I think a binary mode for text is pretty useless, at least compared to
binary modes for numbers and other data types, where they are clearly
useful.  Therefore, we should keep the binary mode the same as the normal
mode and just label it "binary".  (I assume it's not practical to not have
a binary mode for particular data types.)

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Сообщение: Re: Passing server_encoding to the client is not future-proof
Сообщение: Re: Passing server_encoding to the client is not future-proof