Re: NOTICE vs WARNING

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: NOTICE vs WARNING
Дата
Re: NOTICE vs WARNING  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:

> Surely a WARNING is a problem that you should probably fix?

How are "should" and "probably" defined?

> Or at least pay attention to.

If it were in fact the characteristic of a NOTICE that you need not pay
attention to them, why do we have them?

> My thought is that you could turn of NOTICES and not worry.

Well, there are plenty of NOTICE instances that carry a definite need to
worry, such as identifier truncation, implicitly added FROM items,
implicit changes to types specified as "opaque", unsupported and ignored
syntax clauses.

I have a slight feeling that these two categories cannot usefully be
distinguished, but I'm interested to hear other opinions.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net