Re: Sorting Problem

От Dennis Björklund
Тема Re: Sorting Problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Maksim Likharev wrote:

> If you are talking about everything that lies under so called LATIN-1 (
> ISO-8859-1 ) en_US encapsulates ( at least suppose to ) all those
> sorting rules, do not remember about accents tho.

It does not work like that. Different countries in europe that all use
latin1 use different sort order for the same characters. There is no way
to have one set of rules work for all. If we take swedish for example,
then v and w is treatead as the same letter when sorting. So in a
dictionary all words beginning with v or w is mixed together.

In the future we need indexes that depend on the locale (and a lot of
other changes).

--
/Dennis