Re: [HACKERS] Are we losing momentum?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Are we losing momentum?
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Sean Chittenden writes:

> Um, I'm interested in aiding in the conversion of users from MySQL to
> PostgreSQL (how ever it happens, I don't really care).

Your approach to that reminds me of those

alias dir='ls'
alias md='mkdir'

things that Linux distributors once stuck (or still stick?) in the default
profile files, presumably to help conversion from DOS.  It's pretty
pointless, because Linux is still very different from DOS, and once you
want to do something besides showing or changing directories, you will
need documentation and training.  That is what the MySQL conversion
process needs as well, otherwise you're not converting, you're emulating,
and that is not a game you can win.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net