Re: default locale considered harmful? (was Re: [GENERAL]

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: default locale considered harmful? (was Re: [GENERAL]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Our default indexes will be able to do =, >, <, ORDER BY, and the
> special index will be able to do LIKE, ORDER BY, and maybe equals.  Do I
> have that correct?

The default operator class supports comparisons (=, >, <, etc.) and ORDER
BY based on those operators.  The other operator class supports pattern
matching operations (LIKE, SIMILAR, POSIX regexps).

> Looking at CVS, I see the warning about non-C locales has been removed.
> Should we instead mention the new LIKE index method?

I don't see a need.  The old warning was mainly because once you
initdb'ed, you were basically stuck with your choice.  Now we have plenty
of options to query and adjust things later.

> Doing LIKE with single-byte encodings would be easy because it would be
> only 256 compares to find the min/max char values, but that doesn't work
> with multi-byte encodings, right?

This has nothing to do with encodings.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net