Re: Error message style guide, take 2

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Error message style guide, take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> So it's time to nail down our style guide for message wording.  Attached
> is a revision of the draft that Peter posted on 14-March.  Any further
> comments?

Looks good.  I'm sure we'll find some more issues as we go along.

This is slightly unrelated, but what kind of switches should client
libraries have to control the level of detail that the application sees?
Most interfaces that are standardized outside of PostgreSQL have only one
error message function, so I'm afraid what will happen is that they paste
it all together by default and the distinction between primary and detail
will become moot.  And I think I do want the detail in the server log,
too.

> BTW, I'd like to SGML-ify this and put it into the developer's guide
> somewhere; any thoughts where exactly?

I suggest the chapter with the source code formatting issues, as part of a
general "coding style".

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net