An unresolved performance problem.

От Achilleus Mantzios
Тема An unresolved performance problem.
Дата
Re: An unresolved performance problem.  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hi, few days ago, i posted some really wierd (at least to me)
situation (maybe a potentian bug) to the performance and bugs list
and to some core hacker(s) privately as well,
and i got no response.
Moreover i asked for some feedback
in order to understand/fix the problem myself,
and again received no response.

What i asked was pretty simple:
"1. Is it possible that the absense of statistics make the planer produce
better plans
than in the case of statistcs generated with vacuum
analyze/analyze?
2. If No, i found a bug,
3. If yes then under what conditions??
4. If no person knows the answer or no hacker wants to dig into the
problem then is there a direction i must follow to understand/fix whats
going on myself??""

Pretty straight i think.

Well, i stack on step 1.

It seemed to me that either my question was too naive to deserve some real
investigation (doubtedly), or no one was in a position to comment on
it (doubtedly), or that it is not considered an interesting case (possible),
or that some people move all the mail i send to the lists to /dev/null
(unfortunately possible too).

So Since i really have stuck to postgresql for over 2 years for both
technical and emotional reasons, i would feel much more confident
if i would reach step 2 or greater.

The table i have in question is a critical one in my application
since it monitors important plan maintenance data, and i have
to move on with this problem.

Thanx

P.S. the www (64.49.215.82) server is down for while.

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt