Re: VACUUM FULL and ALTER TABLE do *nothing* in 7.3.2

От Achilleus Mantzios
Тема Re: VACUUM FULL and ALTER TABLE do *nothing* in 7.3.2
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Tue, 6 May 2003, SZUCS Gabor wrote:

> Dear Achilleus,
>
> Dunno, it's a multiuser environment. However, I'll try asking everyone to
> stop working for a minute...
>
> ... oops, I just see that it finished about half an hour before (taking an
> amazing 76 minutes for ALTER TABLE to complete). About that time, I started
> and exited a client. Seems it solved the problem. Now "vacuum full analyze"
> finished in a couple of seconds.
>
> Do you have any idea about an explanation? Does vacuum wait for the end of
> each and every transaction?

Just take a look at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=1&file=sql-lock.html

VACUUM FULL acquires a ACCESS EXCLUSIVE MODE.

That means that if a table is accessed in any way
the VACUUM FULL command will wait.

Open Cursors might be a reason.

> G.
> --
> while (!asleep()) sheep++;

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
Nikis 4, Glyfada
Athens 16610
Greece
tel:    +30-210-8981112
fax:    +30-210-8981877
email:  achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com       mantzios@softlab.ece.ntua.gr

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: "SZUCS Gabor"
Сообщение: Re: VACUUM FULL and ALTER TABLE do *nothing* in 7.3.2
Сообщение: Re: VACUUM FULL and ALTER TABLE do *nothing* in 7.3.2