Re: Dynamic SELECT condition

От Achilleus Mantzios
Тема Re: Dynamic SELECT condition
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On 2 Mar 2003, Greg Stark wrote:

> Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> You might want to look into the "Nested Sets" cookbook page too:
>
> http://www.brasileiro.net:8080/postgres/cookbook/view-recipes.adp?section_id=310&format=long
>
> This representation of hierarchies has a lot of nice properties including
> being able to look up a whole subtree quickly. It makes it a bit of a pain to
> modify the tree though.
>
> > If you want to know the direct kids (4,5 in the example) of id=3, then it is
> > select from table where itoar(3) ~ parents and level(parents)=2 (itoar and
> > level are simple C functions that convert an int4 to its corresponding 1x1
> > array and calculate the length of the array , respectively)
>
> In the "int_agg" directory in contrib there are operators that do this, you
> can say "WHERE parents *= 3". I prefer to keep level in a separate column
> though.
>
> I've find the features in the "int_agg" and "array" directories in the contrib
> directory to be extremely useful. The only disadvantage is that the optimizer
> doesn't have good basis for guessing the selectivity of the *= type operators.
>
> GiST indexing of arrays is nice but depends on knowing which element of the
> array you're looking for. If you're looking for 3 anywhere in the hierarchy I
> don't think you can use the index.

What do you mean??
GiST indexing just indexes columns of type *array* for the &&,=,@,~,@@,
etc.. operators.
And if i am looking for 3 somewhere in an array column then
i can definately use the index.
See contrib/intarray for further details.
Of course if the majority of queries just want the first direct father
or the most ancient root grandfather or the median ancestor,
there are ways to speed up such situations.

> --
> greg

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer