Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Dave Page wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Ron Mayer wrote:
> > >
> > > Cool irony in the automated .sig on the mailinglist software...
> > > [...]
> > > Sounds like you're basically saying is
> > >    _do_ 'kill -9' the postmaster...
> > > and make sure it recovers gracefully...
> It's not far off, but it's quite amusing none the less.

Sorry it looks like I should have added "50% :-), 50% :-|".  I was
just amused by the irony of having the admonition against the
standard linux-low-memory condition.  [ 90% :-) ]

More constructively, I think it'd be best for everyone if
  a) postgresql does have a native windows port, and
  b) it's positioned as a "well-tested beta" rather than "production     ready", with documentation saying what part
peoplehave     confidence in (the engine?  operation in non-failure modes),     and what part is still in beta (OS
failuremodes).

IMHO this would have the advantages of
  Even if it works better than many expect, it shows...        ... that postgresql has a high standard even for beta
releases,        where this community thinks about even broader system issues.

     ... corporations using it what aspects they need to focus on in         internal testing before using it in
productionenvironments.

     ... that we're interested in reaching a broader community.
     ... that postgresql is quite portable across platforms.

Note that I don't even care about running the windows version.  I just think
that such a release can be positioned to _strengthen_ PostgreSQL's brand image
rather than weaken it.

  Ron