Re: Measuring CPU time use? (Another stupid question)

От Jessica Blank
Тема Re: Measuring CPU time use? (Another stupid question)
Дата
Re: Measuring CPU time use? (Another stupid question)  (Keehan Mallon <keehan_mallon@yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I suppose I should rephrase.

I am trying to figure out which of two competing ideas of mine is the more
efficient.

Right now, I am running it on a "slow" machine-- a G3/220 with 148MB of
RAM, on OLD SCSI-1/2 hardware. Modern machines have much faster CPUs--
they also have much faster disk tho.

What is important is how long it takes to do a "typical" or "average"
search. I am coding a full-text search system and had two ideas on how to
do it (without implementing my own file-based database, using another
person's, writing stuff in C, or other stuff far more complex than what
the client is paying me for ;) )

So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't care so much about CPU time, or
I/O time, but *TOTAL* time. How long it takes from the instant the query
hits Postgres to the instant I get my results back...

So I need a way to run some 'typical' queries (common search terms for
this system) and figure out which of my algorithms works better... :)

--
J e s s i c a    L e a h    B l a n k