Re: Sun Pushing MySQL but Mentions PostgreSQL

От Aurangzeb M. Agha
Тема Re: Sun Pushing MySQL but Mentions PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks for posting this Jim.  Its always good to have others point you in
a direction where you can keep the pulse on the wrist of the industry.

While I don't have an opinion on Sun's LAMP initiative, I do think it's
important to point out that at the end of the day, all the software we
use, languages, IDE's, DB's, are all tools to get a job done--I'm sure I'm
preaching to the choir.

I suspect that LAMP is pushing for MySQL because _they_feel_ (emphasis)
that it'll be an easier tool for their user-base to use.

I struggled to choose between either MySQL and PostgreSQL for my current
contract (in Greece--the weather here rox, BTW!!!) simply because I'm a
complete novice to DB's.  As an application developer, I'm making my first
jump into actually designing, building, and maintaining my own, large,
multi-lingual DB.  A the end of the day, I decided to go with PostgreSQL
simply because I felt that it was a better tool than MySQL
_for_this_project (emphasis), but it doesn't mean that I wouldn't choose
MySQL for another project.

I hope this last statement (or any other part of this e-mail) doesn't get
me flamed like a Greek Souvlaki (like a gyro).

    Peace from Greece,
    Please don't flame me, ;-)
    Aurangzeb