Re: Open 7.3 items

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Open 7.3 items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian writes:

> OK, I have another idea.  What if we make global users end with an @, so
> dave@ is a global user.  We can easily check for that in the postmaster
> and not append the dbname.  I know it makes @ a special character, but
> considering the problem of namespace collision, it seems better than
> what we have now.  We could add the install user too if we wish, or just
> tell them to make sure they add a user@ before turning on the feature.

I don't like where this is going.  The original plan was to create a
feature that was simple and transparent.  Now we have a feature that might
be simple to implement, but is neither simple to understand nor
transparent.  Instead it uglifies the common interfaces.

I don't see what the problem is of dumping out the entire content of
pg_shadow into a flat file.  First you look for a non-@ user, then you
look for an @ user that matches the database.

The interface should drive the implementation, not the other way around.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net