Re: [GENERAL] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Oliver Elphick writes:

> One person said:
>     However compiling with largefile support will change the size
>     of off_t from 32 bits to 64 bits - if postgres uses off_t or
>     anything else related to file offsets in a binary struct in one
>     of the database files you will break stuff pretty heavily. I
>     would not compile postgres with largefile support until it
>     is officially supported by the postgres developers.
>
> but I cannot see that off_t is used in such a way.

This is not the only issue.  You really need to check all uses of off_t
(for example printf("%ld", off_t) will crash) and all places where off_t
should have been used in the first place.  Furthermore you might need to
replace ftell() and fseek() by ftello() and fseeko(), especially if you
want pg_dump to support large archives.

Still, most of the configuration work is already done in Autoconf (see
AC_FUNC_FSEEKO and AC_SYS_LARGEFILE), so the work might be significantly
less than the time spent debating the merits of large files on these
lists. ;-)

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net