Re: CREATE CAST code review

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: CREATE CAST code review
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> What about requiring ownership of at least one of the types?

Yes, that would work.

There would be a somewhat bizzare consequence, though:  User U1 creates
type T1, user U2 creates type T2.  Then user U1 creates a cast from T1 to
T2.  Now user U2 would be allowed to drop that cast (unless we store a
cast owner).  I guess that lies in the nature of things.

A much more complex yet powerful alternative would be to associate casts
with schemas.  For example, this would allow an ordinary user to create a
cast from numeric to text in his own little world.  But that might be
going too far.

> > I'm not sure about the implications of associating objects with schemas in
> > pg_dump.  I suppose there might be an option to dump only certain schemas,
>
> That is the intention (it's not implemented yet).

My concern was that if you, say, have two schemas and a cast that involves
types from both schemas.  If you dump all of them, you have a consistent
dump.  But if you dump both schemas separately, do you dump the cast in
both of them (thus making each schema's dump self-contained) or in only
one of them (thus allowing concatenation the dumps).  This issue
generalizes to every kind of dependency in pg_dump.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net