Re: text vs varchar

От Achilleus Mantzios
Тема Re: text vs varchar
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Wei,
>
> > Is there any disadvantage of using TEXT datatype as opposed to a VARCHAR
> > datatype with a maximum length, especially when I do searches on them?
>
> Yes.  You can't index TEXT because it's of potentially unlimited length.

Well indexing text works fine for me.
                     Table "repdat"    Column      |            Type             | Modifiers
-----------------+-----------------------------+-----------vslid           | integer                     |vslname
 | character varying(15)       |orderno         | integer                     | not nulldate_in         | timestamp
withouttime zone |port_landed     | character varying(15)       |subject         | text                        |catid
       | integer                     |

dynacom=# EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT subject from repdat where subject='UTM
FOR SPECIAL SURVEY JUNE2000';
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:
Index Scan using repdat_subject_idx on repdat  (cost=0.00..7.40 rows=1
Total runtime: 0.10 msec
EXPLAIN
dynacom=#
dynacom=# SET enable_indexscan = off;
SET VARIABLE
dynacom=# EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT subject from repdat where subject='UTM
FOR SPECIAL SURVEY JUNE2000';
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:
Seq Scan on repdat  (cost=0.00..388.59 rows=1 width=28) (actual
time=0.03..8.14
rows=1 loops=1)
Total runtime: 8.19 msec
EXPLAIN
dynacom=#

--
Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: alet@unice.fr (Jerome Alet)
Сообщение: Help with a "recursive" query
От: Joachim Trinkwitz
Сообщение: Aggregates not allowed in WHERE clause?