Re: Turning column into row

От Wm. G. Urquhart
Тема Re: Turning column into row
Дата
Re: Turning column into row  ("Joel Burton" <joel@joelburton.com>)
Список pgsql-sql
On Wed, 22 May 2002, Tille, Andreas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm afraid this is a blody beginners question but I have no idea how
> to perform a search sanely in the list archive.
>
> I have a Table of certain items
>
>    create table item (
>        IdItem      int,
>        Item        varchar(64),
>    );
>
> a lookuptable which defines some properties
>
>    create table property (
>        IdProperty  int,
>        Property    varchar(64)
>    );
>
> and a table which defines the different properties which are possible for
> a certain item:
>
>    create table tlkp_item_property (
>        IdItem     int,
>        IdProperty int
>    );
>
> So I can easily select all the properties of a certain item in a table
> where the columns contain the properties.  But I want to have an output
> of the kind
>
>     Item 1: Property 1, Property 2, Property 3, ...
>     Item 2: <Properties of Item 2>
>
> So I have to turn the different properties according to one item into
> one field insead of one column.
>
> How to do this sanely?
>
> Kind regards
>
>           Andreas.

Depending on how many properties you had you could include these in the
first table and remove the other two table. Using a hash value pair or
sommit similar (Value=Desc, Value=Desc) you could then do bitwise
operations on the column to extract the information you need.

Just a thought.

--
Regards,

Wm. G. Urquhart