Uncommited transaction problem

От Vaclav Kulakovsky
Тема Uncommited transaction problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

I've the following problem:

We have client server application. Some clients are connecter via dialup
modem, so theirs connections are not so stable. Sometimes happens that
dialup connection hangs and if it is in the middle of a transaction tables
(rows) stay locked.

I'm tunneling postgres through secure tunnel, so I set up keep alive on
that connection. If connection is really broken backend is killed by keep
alive packet and locks are released. But this doesn't solve my problem
entirely. Sometimes when client hangs (it's on M$ windows so it is normal)
and a user is just having coffee, connection is ok so tables/rows stay
locked.

Problem is that I'm not able to get rid of these "dead" backends, even I
don't know method how to find them.

Question:

Is there any general advice how to solve/avoid  this problem ?

Is there any options how to set keep alive option on PG connections ?

Is possible to find backend which is blocking ?

Any other ideas ? ;)

Regards,

Vak