Re: Cannot restart the postmaster

От Rich Shepard
Тема Re: Cannot restart the postmaster
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Len Morgan wrote:

> I just had this problem a few hours ago.  It seems that the PG_VERSION file
> is the problem.  Some directories got moved, etc.  You might want to read
> the "Upgrading" section of the Upgrade-rpm-dist  I ended up removing either
> the base or the data directory and then the initdb worked (as did starting
> up postmaster).

Len,

  Yes, PG_VERSION -- both copies -- report 7.1. I've read
/usr/doc/postgresql-7.2/README.rpm-dist and didn't see anything about this
problem. There is plenty of information about saving existing databases
before upgrading, but not on the particular problem. Let me try removing a
directory ...

> Hope that helps

  Yup! That did it. I moved pg_hba.conf to a safe place, rm'd the complete
data/ directory and, as postgres, ran initdb. Voila! Moved pg_hba.conf back
and, as root, restarted the postmaster.

Many thanks! I'll save this message for the next time.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com