Re: Report generation

От Rich Shepard
Тема Re: Report generation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Holger Marzen wrote:

> Run a webserver and use Perl-CGIs or PHP, e.g. Apache+PHP.
> + No installation of client software needed.
> - Not as "cute" as other solutions.
>
> Install ODBC on your Clients and Crystal Reports or MS-Access
> + May look better (important for the ties).
> [+ Is expensive (important for the ties).]
> - License fees, a lot of work if there are many PCs where the client
>   software has to be installed.

Holger,

  I appreciate your thoughts. The UI for the accounting software (and most
other software I write for business use) is based on ncurses. Data entry of
text and numbers is so much quicker, easier and error-free from the keyboard
and without having to move the hands to a pointing device.

  Personally, I do not like BUIs (Browser User Interfaces). I'm a
touch-typist and make the most use of the trackball as a means of selecting
the virtual console in which to type. That's why I prefer pine as my MUA,
emacs and LaTeX for document production, and so on.

  We're Microsoft-free here and have been for four years now.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)