Re: 7.0.2 -> 7.1 performance drop

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: 7.0.2 -> 7.1 performance drop
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Frank Bax wrote:

> Expecting more questions like yours, I did a little more research.  The
> import is all INSERT's except for two selects.  I realised I could rewrite
> a portion of the code to remove one of those SELECT's.  Guess What no
> effect on run-time.  Isn't that curious?  So I pondered that for a while
> and thought that if removeing one SELECT didn't make any difference, then
> making changes to the second SELECT (which was on same table) wsn't likely
> to change anything either.  If that's true then the problem was only
> INSERT's.  A little more pondering and I remember that I looked a little
> closer at startup parms during the PG upgrade.  I had removed -F option.
> Put it back in and runtime dropped to 10 minutes again - problem solved!

Maybe you are paying too much transaction overhead. Is your script one
single transaction? If you explicitly make it so by means of enclosing
it all in a BEGIN-COMMIT block (or several, depending on how much INSERT
clauses you have) it will perhaps run much faster.

HTH...

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[@]atentus.com>)
"Crear es tan dificil como ser libre" (Elsa Triolet)