Re: commit so slow program looks frozen

От: Richard Troy
Тема: Re: commit so slow program looks frozen
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Alvaro Herrera, )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Brian Hurt, )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Scott Marlowe, )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Magnus Hagander", )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Richard Troy, )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
    Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Bucky Jordan", )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Rocco Altier", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Merlin Moncure", )
    Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Simon Riggs", )
     Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Merlin Moncure", )
      Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Rob Lemley, )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Richard Troy, )
    OT: TCL vs Perl Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (, )
     Re: OT: TCL vs Perl Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Joshua D. Drake", )

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Carlo Stonebanks wrote:

> It could even be that there's something wrong with the TCL package, but from
> my understanding it is one of the most complete interfaces out there - which
> is weird, because TCL seems to be the most unpopular language in the
> community.

Not that this matters much and it's slightly off the topic of performance,
but...

...I would have to check my _ancient_ emails for the name of the guy and
the dates, but the integration was first done while I was a researcher at
Berkeley, at the tail end of the Postgres team's funding. My team used
Postgres with TCL internals to implement "the query from hell" inside the
server. That was about 1994 or '95, IIRC. At that time, most people who
knew both said that they were roughly equivalent, with PERL being _vastly_
less intelligible (to humans) and they hated it. What happened was PERL
got exposure that TCL didn't and people who didn't know better jumped on
it.

So, it was one of the most complete interfaces because it was done first,
or nearly first, by the original guys that created the original Postgres.

Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation

Сообщение: Re: query slows down drastically with increased number of fields
Сообщение: Re: query slows down drastically with increased number of