Re: commit so slow program looks frozen

От: Richard Troy
Тема: Re: commit so slow program looks frozen
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Alvaro Herrera, )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Brian Hurt, )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Scott Marlowe, )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Magnus Hagander", )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Richard Troy, )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
    Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Bucky Jordan", )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Rocco Altier", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Merlin Moncure", )
    Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Simon Riggs", )
     Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Merlin Moncure", )
      Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Rob Lemley, )
   Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (Richard Troy, )
    OT: TCL vs Perl Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  (, )
     Re: OT: TCL vs Perl Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
  Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )
 Re: commit so slow program looks frozen  ("Carlo Stonebanks", )

> A context switch storm is when your machine spends more time trying to
> figure out what to do than actually doing anything.  The CPU spends most
> it's time switching between programs than running them.

Well, we usually use the term "thrashing" as the generic for when your
machine is spending more time on overhead than doing user work - this
would include paging or context switching, along with whatever else. A
context-switch storm would be a specific form of thrashing!

Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation

Сообщение: Re: query slows down drastically with increased number of fields
Сообщение: Re: query slows down drastically with increased number of