Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Jochem van Dieten wrote:

> pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:
> > (5) Programming languages. We need to make a programming language standard
> > in PostgreSQL. plpgsql is good, but isn't someone working on a Java
> > language. That would be pretty slick.
>
> IMHO SQL/PSM would be the obvious choice for the standard
> procedural language. Not only because it is part of the SQL
> standard (ISO/IEC 9075-4:2003), but also because it is reasonably
> intuitive and it is the same as what is implemented in DB2 (and
> in MySQL 5 due sometime not so soon).
> The only problem is that there is no PostgreSQL implementation.

While I can see heading in that direction, the lack of an implementation
makes this suggestion impractical.  It will take time not just to
implement it, but to test it and debug it, and for it to reach "maturity."

PL/pgsql is mature and tested, has a great deal of code already written
for it, and has reached maturity.  I'd say including it by default
represents little or no security risk, and increases the value, out of the
box, of postgresql for most folks while costing very little in terms of
wasted disk space etc...