Re: Data Encryption in PostgreSQL, and a Tutorial.

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Data Encryption in PostgreSQL, and a Tutorial.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Christopher Browne wrote:

> scott.marlowe@ihs.com ("scott.marlowe") wrote:

> >> Yeah, it is, but md5 is not considered cryptography because it is not
> >> reversible (you can't decrypt to get back what you put in).  As such
> >> it's not restricted under US munitions law, nor anyone else's that
> >> I've heard of.
> >
> > True, but the original discussion, I believe, was on storing user
> > passwords etc... for which md5 is the preferred method...
>
> No, the original discussion was about encrypting fields in the
> database, so MD5 doesn't cut it.

OK, thanks.  I think I got my threads cross-wired.

> Actually, for the purpose being pointed at, I would actually suggest
> that the Gentle User consider preferring that the database DOESN'T
> directly support encryption, because if it did, it would be tempting
> to pass encryption keys to the database, thereby COMPROMISING the
> security of the system.

I agree completely.  There's a new italian law that says that everything
in a database that's personal data has to be encrypted, and there was
another discussion on that.  Did you see that one go by?  Seems the law
isn't real clear on where encryption / decryption or key holding should
take place.