Re: BTrees with record numbers

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: BTrees with record numbers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 27 Feb 2004, Chad wrote:

> Is it possible for Postgres Btrees to support access by logical row number ?
> If not available is ti a huge job to support for sombebody willing to have a go ?

Are talking about logical row operators as maintained by your own code
outside the database, or having postgresql suddenly start maintaining
logical row numbers?  I doubt postgresql will ever have built in logical
row numbers because maintaining them in a materialized way is quite
expensive.

On the other hand, if you just need logical row numbers for a one off
thing, you can do this:

create temp sequence judy;
select *, nextval('judy') from mytable;