Re: MySQL Gets Functions in Java - Enlightenment Please

От Kris Jurka
Тема Re: MySQL Gets Functions in Java - Enlightenment Please
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Tony (Unihost) wrote:

> Can someone a little more clever than I (which means just about anyone
> on this list) tell me what the implications/benefits are of this  are
> please?
>
> http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/12/19/1628241.shtml?tid=108&tid=126&tid=137&tid=156&tid=198

This is not a real stored procedure language and it doesn't claim to be
despite the messages on this list or slashdot.  What it does is allow
regular functions to be written in Java.  Not to say this isn't valuable,
but the key to an in database language is the ability to query the
database.  Now, it should be possible to open a JDBC connection back to
the database like any other java process, but the problem is that it will
not run in the same transaction as the connection which is calling the
function.

Another thing I noticed about this is the prototype for a function is
String exec(String []).  So it's type checking certainly won't be
great.  It says (and means) version 0.1 and doesn't (yet) deserve all the
noise it has caused.

Kris Jurka

Сообщение: Re: MySQL Gets Functions in Java - Enlightenment Please
Сообщение: Re: MySQL Gets Functions in Java - Enlightenment Please