Re: is GiST still alive?

От Gregor Zeitlinger
Тема Re: is GiST still alive?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Um, I/O and Page layout are not theory.   They are implementation issues.
yes or no, depending on your point of view.

> Theory would answer things like "What are the mathematical operations I can
> use to define compliance or non-compliance with the DTD for a heirarchy and
> for data elements?"
<snip>

Yes, that's also tought of. Most of it was done by a collegue at
university, who came up with the idea, but didn't do any implementation.

> > only an implementation is a real proof.
>
> Implementation is proof of a theory.  But you've got to have the theory first
> or you don't know what you're proving.
agreed.

> Anyway, I don't think you an borrow code from any existing relational
> database,since an XML database would be radically different structurally.
I'm getting this impression, too.

--
Gregor Zeitlinger
gregor@zeitlinger.de

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: pg_ctl reports succes when start fails
От: Christopher Kings-Lynne
Сообщение: Re: pg_ctl reports succes when start fails