Re: is GiST still alive?

От Gregor Zeitlinger
Тема Re: is GiST still alive?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Reinvent the wheel?  Well, yes.
>
> The first thing ... the VERY first thing, abosolutely ... that you need to do
> is invent a theory of XML databases.
Well, I have. It doen't cover all parts in detail yet, because I've
started with a simple IO layer (simple page locking, no concurrent
transactions) and worked on the page layout and parsing algorithms from
there on. Querying on that format will follow thereafter. And concurrency
issuses will be dealt with even later.
I am considering hierachical locking (any part of the tree).
I was just wondering wheater I could take some of that fuctionlay from an
existing database.

> Without these things, you're just another idiot floundering around a morass of
> acronyms and half-baked ideas.
I know

> With them, you will have something that no current XML database
> project/product has, and can give XML databases a fighting chance to
> survive beyond the current fad.
If there was a promising project for an xml database, I would have joined
it.

> Of course,it's possible in the course of theorizing that you may prove that
> XML databases are impossible.  But that's how the cookie crumbles ....
only an implementation is a real proof.

--
Gregor Zeitlinger
gregor@zeitlinger.de