Re: Cannot create database

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Cannot create database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5 Oct 2003, Domagoj Cajic wrote:

> First i want to say that i just subscribed to this mailing list and this
> is my first post. :)
>
> im new to postgresql and i installed it recently on linux redhat 9
> system following the instructions from administrators tutorial.
>
> then i attempted to create "my first database" following the
> instructions from tutorial, but i get this message:
>
> [root@localhost root]# createdb mydb
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
> createdb: database creation failed
>
> can someone help me? whats wrong? i am logged in as root, just started
> learning postgresql...

I'm not sure which instructions you've followed.  Somewhere along the
line, the instructions should have included creating a superuser account
named postgresq, or something similar, setting the $PGDATA env var,
running initdb, then running pg_ctl start.

Or did you install from .rpm files?

Either way, you should not be interfacing with the database as root (or
doing anything else you don't NEED to be root to do.)  It's a bad habit to
be root when you don't need to be on a unix box.